I am so proud of this one! My favorite season is just around the corner! Autumn. I love the fall. The pumpkins patches, apple trees and plums. The brisk rainy weather and sipping hot cocoa on chilly autumn nights. This Spiced Plum Cake is quite simple but definitely not lacking in complexity with ripe plums, cinnamon and butter.
I love these simple cake recipes. It’s the perfect dessert for when all you want is a smidge of sweetness after a satisfying meal. This cake can be made with peaches or nectarines or grapes! Top with vanilla ice cream or home made vanilla whipped cream.
Ingredients for Cinnamon Plum Cake
Flour – Use an all-purpose flour, unbleached if you can find it.
Sugar – Simple old granulated sugar is al you need to sweeten this cake.
Plums – You can use any of the 12 kinds of plums for this cake. Use ripe plums!
Eggs – Eggs will give your cake some stability and bind all of your ingredients together. And definitely protein too!
Butter – What’s a cake without the richness of butter? The necessary fat you will need to create a moist, fluffy cake.
Greek yogurt – Greek yogurt will give your plum cake more moisture and added tanginess.
Baking powder – To give your cake a nice rise, baking powder will do the job!
Cinnamon – This simple yet complex spice will take your plum cake to the next level.
Salt – a smidge of salt will enhance the flavors in the rest of the plum cake ingredients.
How to make Cinnamon Plum Cake
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a bowl. When you combine ingredients before adding dry to wet, it means less mixing of the batter as a whole.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until you achieve a fluffy white mixture.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, vanilla and yogurt.
- Add the eggs mixture to the sugar and mix until combined.
- Now add your dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
Tips for the best Cinnamon Plum Cake
- Use room temperature ingredients. Through a lot of trial and error, and what professional bakes already know, using room temperature ingredients for delicate bakes goods is essential when you want your cakes to rise.
- Go for the ripe plums. Ripe plums will add extra sweetness to your cake and less bitterness.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients separate from wet ingredients together before combining the two. Mixing together all the dry ingredients first will assure that the cinnamon, baking powdwer and salt are evenly dispersed.
A buttery cinnamon plum cake that has just the right amount of sweetness.
- 1 1/2 all-purpose flour
- 1 cup + 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3–4 ripe plums, pitted and halved
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 inch cake pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt until well combined.
- In a medium bowl and with a hand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until fluffy and light in color.
- Beat the eggs, vanilla and Greek yogurt into the suger butter mixture intil combined.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan and bake for 35-40 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes before transfering to a cooling rack. Cool completely.