Pop one, pop two or pop three of these Figgy Poppables that are made with Medjool dates, dried figs, apricots, pistachios, cinnamon and ginger. I am a huge snacker. I try not to graze to omuch throughout the day, when if I do, I try to have these healthy bites at the ready.
Gettin’ figgy with it!
Having a few fresh figs can make a reasonable low calorie snack. When figs are in their dried state, they are more concentrated with sugar and higher in calories. Figs hold many nutritional benefits. Dried figs are great when you need extra fiber in your diet.
How do Figgy Poppable Energy Bites work?
My Figgy Poppable Energy Bites are loaded with complex carbohydrate ingredients such as figs, dates, cranberries, pistachios and pumpkin seeds. These energy bites work in in your body like gasoline works in a car. Your body slowly metabolizes these energy balls giving you sustained energy.
Ingredients for Figgy Poppable Energy Bites
Dried figs. I use dried figs for this figgilicious treat.
Medjool dates are perfect for their soft sweet-rich caramel flavor.
Organic dried apricots for their sweet tangy flavor. Plus they add bombastic texture to the energy bites.
Organic dried cranberries good quality organic dried cranberries for this recipe.
Dry roasted pistachios from Trader Joe’s. I used crushed unsalted dry roasted pistachio.
Pumpkin seeds: A dry roasted pumpkin seeds is best for it’s toasty crunch.
Sesame seeds for a tiny pop of nuttiness.
Organic chia seeds for more tiny pops of crunch.
Unsweetened shredded coconut for a layer of coconutty excellence
Ground cinnamon for hints of spice.
A generous amount of ground ginger which adds this element of “yum, was that ginger I just tasted?”
Sea salt for flavor elevation. I used a pinch of sea salt which amplifies the flavors in this poppable.
How to make Figgy Poppable Energy Bites
- I added the figs, dates and apricots to a food processor and pulsated the ingredients until they have broken down into tiny bits.
- Then I added cranberries, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, pistachios, ginger, cinnamon and salt. I set the food processor on high and blended until the ingredients have broken down more and is starting to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Form 1.5 inch balls and roll in unsweetened shredded coconut. I set the bite in the fridge for about an hour.
Tips for the best Figgy Poppable Energy Bites
Don’t process the ingredients too much. You will want to blend until the ingredients begin to pull away form the sides, retaining chunks pistachios, apricots and cranberries.
Pop your poppables into the fridge after you roll them in the coconut. Eat them cold or at room temperature.
If your hands get too sticky while rolling the tiny bites, you can rinse your hands off in warm water. Dry your hands before rolling again.
You can store these poppable energy bites in an airtight container, in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also freeze them for longer. Freeze the bites on a baking sheet before transferring them to a freezer bag.Print
These bite sized powerhouses of energy are made with figs, dates, pistchachios, cinnamon and ginger.
- 10 pitted medjool dates
- 4 dried figs (if they are small, you can add up to 6)
- 1/2 cup dried craberries
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (10 pieces)
- 1/2 cup pistachios
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- Add the dates, figs and appricots to a food processor and pulsate until ingredients break down into tiny pieces.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend on high until the mixture starts to pull away from the sides. You might need to frequently move the mixture around when the food processor stops mixing.
- Pour the shredded coconut onto a plate. Set aside.
- Roll the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls. Then roll each one in the shredded coconut.
- Set in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Eat cold or at room temperature.
When blending the ingredients, the mixture will stop moving in the food processor. So, you will need to frequently stop the processor to move the mixture around before continuing to blend. Do not add any liquid.
Keywords: Figgy Poppable Energy Bites