An abundance of citrus! I’ve never used grapefruit as a base for a glaze, and wow, does it taste amazing! My Grapefruit Glazed Chicken Breasts are organic chicken breasts with a smoked paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, garlic and onion powder rub, and brushed with a simple rosemary grapefruit reduction with yummy chunks of grapefruit left in.
When I prepare chicken at home, I usually go for chicken breasts. Chicken breasts are easy to work with, versatile, and it’s a no-brainer that you’ll get tons of protein. You can finely chop chicken breast for a stir-fry or stuff them them with veggies and cheeses.
Ingredients for Grapefruit Glazed Chicken Breasts
- Chicken: Use an organic chicken with out hormones or antibiotics.
- Grapefruit: Rub Red grapefruit is the best for this dish. They’re a bit sweeter with a bitter edge. (Ha! If I wrote a romance novel it would be called, A Bit Sweeter with a Bitter Edge!)
- The Rub: A spicy aromatic combination of brown sugar, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, smoked parika, garlic and onion powder. A combo that all go so perfectly well with grapefruit.
- Honey: Show me the honey! I used a good quality standard honey for this grapefruit glaze.
- Rosemary: Infuse fresh sprigs of rosemary into your grapefruit reduction.
- Salt: A few pinches of sea salt will elevate all the flavors of this chicken dish.
How to prep Grapefruit Glazed Chicken Breasts
It is a good idea to prep as much of the gredients as possible before you make this chicken dish. prepping ingredients beforehand saves time and you won’t have dig around for that cinnamon that you didn’t realize was behind the canned goods. How did THAT get there? Before I started cooking more seriously, I would pull out ingredients as I needed them, and wowsa was that stressful.
- Before anything, go ahead and mix your spices together to make the rub.
- It’s a good idea to process your chicken breast before. Cut away any fat that might be left. Cut it into whatever prices you want ahead of time, or just leave whole. Then place it in a bowl inside of your refrigerator until you’re ready to add the rub.
- Squeeze two grapefruits into a bowl, making sure you squeeze in all the pulp too.
- Pull out two sprigs of Rosemary and set aside.
- Add some salt to a ramekin so your salt will only be a pinch away. Same with pepper. I always make it a good practice to just keep my salt and pepper in pinch dishes.
Tender juicy chicken breasts rubbed the right way with a special blend of spices coverd in a grapefruit glaze.
- 3 large chicken breasts
- 2 large ruby red grapefruit
- 1 tablespoon honey
- a few sprigs of rosemary
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon smoked parika
- 1/2 teapoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper
Rosemary Grapefruit Glaze
- Cut both grapefruits in half, and squeeze all the juice and pulp directly into a small sauce pan. Go ahead and dig some of that pulp out and add it in. Add in one sprig of rosemary.
- Bring to a boil and let simmer for 10 minutes or until the juice and pulp have reduced into a simple syrup. Remove from heat and let cool.
Chicken Breast Preparation
- Tenderize each chicken breat one at a time by placing each on between two sheets of plastic wrap, and lightly pounding them with a meat tenderizing mallot. Season all sides with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, mix together the spices and brown sugar. Rub all over the chicken breasts making sure you get every nook.
- Set the chicken breasts on a small baking sheet. Spread some of the glaze over the chicken breasts. Bake for 25 minutes. Brushing on more glaze every 10 minutes.
- Remove and let stand for 5 minutes before chowing down.
Keywords: Grapefruit Glazed Chicken Breast