These Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones are so addicting, you wont be able to stop at one. They aren’t quite poppable size, but theya re so yum, I know you’ll try! lol My Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones are jazzed up with lemon zest, poppy seeds and an icing that you only dream about.
When it comes to scones I am pretty picky. I love my scone to be flaky-crumbly with a firm but soft flaky center. Almost like a cookie and almost like cake. Heavier on the crumbly side. I’ve been through the gamet of making these yummy treats, and after many great bacthes and many not-so-great bathches, I think I have found the perfect scone recipe.
Ingredients you’ll need for Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones
- Lemons – Pick those average evryday lemons that you see in piles at the market. Ones that are bright yellow with a firm outer shell.
- Unbleached all-purpose flour – You can use any kind of all-purpose four for these tasty treats!
- Granulated sugar – Good ole white sugar is perfect for these yummy scones!
- Butter – A stick of cold, almost frozen unsalted butter is what I use for these scones, and what gives them their buttery flavor and flaky-crumbly texture.
- Greek yogurt or sour cream – Each one give the scone it’s own flavor and level of moisture that these scones need.
- Heavy cream – Although authentic british scones don’t call for heavy cream, adding it will give your scones a level of tenderness that is reminiscent of flouting on a cloud!
- Poppyseeds – Poppyseeds adds a subtle nuttiness while offering that perfect textural crunch.
- Baking powder – I use a good quality baking powder for that perfect rise and expansion.
- Vanilla extract – A good quality vanilla extract will give your baked goods that bakery-like flavor and aroma! Can you smell it?
- Salt – A pinch or two of salt will perk up the depth and complexity of the other flavors.
How to make Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones
- Combine the sugar and lemon zest, and pinch it all together to release those lemony oils.
- Whisk in the poppyseeds, flour, baking powder and salt.
- With your handy0dandy pastery cutter, cut in the cold cubes of butter until you acheive a very coarse corn meal.
- Mix the greek yogurt, heavy cream and vanilla together and add it to the dry ingredients.
- Plop the dough onto a lightly floured surface and form a 2 inch thick square. Cut four, then cut those four into 8 and 8 into 16 mini scones.
Tips for making the best Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones
- The key to making the perfect scone is temperature. Make sure your butter, cream, and yogurt are super cold. I would even stick the cubed butter into the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Another helpful thing to remember is to not use your bare fingers. The heat from our hands will only melt that cold butter. Using a pastry cutter and wooden spoon are essential for turning out a perfect scone.
Soft, flaky crumbly lemon poppyseed scones with a sweet-tart lemon icing. Recipe inspired by Broma Bakery!
- Zest of one lemon (approx. 1 tablespoon)
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
- 6 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or sour cream)
- 6–8 tablespoons heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons poppyseeds
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- Juice from one lemon (or more if needed)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the sugar and lemon zest to a large bowl. Rub together mixture to release the oils from the zest.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the lemon sugar. Place in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Using a pastry cutter cut in the cubed butter until your mixture resembles coarse sand.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt, heavy cream and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix with a fork unitl the dough starts to pull away from the sides. The dough shouldn’t be wet.
- Roll the dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and quickly form a square approximatley 2 inches thick. Next, cut the square vertically and then horizontally. You will have 4 pieces. Next, cut each square to into 8 trinagles. Cut those those into 16 triangles. You will have 16 mini scones.
- Place the mini scones onto the baking sheet leavint 2 inches of room between each piece. Use another tray if you need to.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the scones are starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for a few minutes before transfering them to a cooling rack.
- Combine all the icing ingredients and mix until you acheive a thick creamy icing. Once the scones have cooled, spread the icing oover the top, sprinkle with poppyseeds and lemon zest.
All of your ingredients should be cold. You can place the butter in the refrigerator for 10 mnutes before cutting it into the flour.
Avoid using your fingers to cut in the butter. The heat from your hand will melt the butter and your scones will come out thick and dry.
Keywords: Mini Lemon Poppyseed Scones