These Skinny Veggie Riggies have the creaminess, spiciness and yumminess as your standard chicken riggies, but without the extra fat and calories! My riggies are lip-smacking delicious, made with low-fat cream cheese, organic tomato sauce, lemon zest, cayenne pepper, turkey bacon, peas and asparagus.
I absolutely love this meal. This is something that I threw together the other day as I was rifling through my pantry. As I was spooning the riggies into a dish, and into my mouth, I thought how pretty it looked. I am getting closer to starting treatment, and I crave meals that are healthy, delicious and easy to put together.
Ingredients for Skinny Veggie Riggies
- Rigatoni – Rigatoni has those perfect nooks and crannies for holding the sauce.
- Tomato sauce – A simple can of organic tomato sauce comes compact with all the seasonings such as garlic and onion powder.
- Cream cheese – The 1/3 the fat cream cheese is excellent for these riggies It gives the same creamy goodness without the added fat
- Sweet peas – I prefer the frozen peas if I can can’t find fresh ones.
- Lemon – The zest of a lemon freshens up this dish with its magical lemon oil.
- Asparagus – For an added textural delight, I added raw chopped asparagus.
- Turkey bacon – For the least amount saturated fat and the most amount of that salty-crunchy element, turkey bacon is your best bet.
- Extra virgin olive oil – For added moisture and a rich olive flavor.
- Garlic and onion powder – For a boost of flavor, add a few dashes of these powders to enhance the flavor flave!
- Salt and pepper – A dash of each will amplify all these complex flavors.
How to prepare Skinny Veggie Riggies
- I placed the turkey bacon on a tray and baked it until crisp.
- Cook your rigatoni in salty water with drizzles of olive oil until the riggies turn al dente.
- Drain the pasta.
- Add the tomato sauce, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon zest and cream cheese to a bowl and mix until combined. Stir in the pasta and BAM! Instant yumminess!
Al dente rigatoni in a spicy cream cheese tomato sauce, topped with turkey bacon.
- 2 cups dry rigatoni
- 15oz can of tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup low-fat cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup uncooked asparagus, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- salt and pepper
- Fill a large pot with water, add a generous amount of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Heat until boiling. Add pasta and cook until al dente.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the turkey bacon on a cooking sheet and cook in the oven until crisp.
- Drain the pasta (but don’t rinse). Add the pasta back to the pan.
- Add the tomato sauce, cream cheese, cayenne pepper, garlic, onion powder, and lemon zest in a bowl and mix well.
- Add the cream sauce to the pasta, a little olive oil and stir until the pasta is well coated. On very low heat, cook just until warmed through. (Just a minute or two).
- Serve and top with crumbled turkey bacon.
Pasta is the best when it isn’t cooked all the way through, or until it becomes al dente. Cook the pasta until there is a slight crunch in the center.
Don’t rinse the pasta. Simply drain and add it to the sauce. The starch from the pasta helps the sauce stick to the pasta.
If the sauce seems too thick and dry, add more tomato sauce and olive oil.
Don’t add oil to your pasta water. The pasta will be covered with a thin layer of oil which wont allow the sauce to stick.
Keywords: Skinny Veggie Riggies